Aquatic Physiotherapy (Hydrotherapy) refers to the practice of tailored exercises immersed in warm water to aid in therapy, rehabilitation and exercise.
Coast Sport delivers Aquatic Physiotherapy Services at the YMCA Swim School located at the Mariners Centre of Excellence, Tuggerah.
These services are available to private, workcover, third party and DVA clients.
Clients must be referred into the Aquatic Physiotherapy Program by a Coast Sport Physiotherapist or their Doctor. New Clients must attend an Initial Physiotherapy Consultation at Coast Sport and also attain medical clearance from their GP, prior to participating in the Aquatic Physiotherapy program.
Aquatic Physiotherapy Sessions must be booked and paid for at the Coast Sport reception desk, prior to the appointment time. Online bookings are not available for Aquatic Physiotherapy at this stage.
Hydrotherapy works by using a number of principles, including:
- Heated pools (33℃) reduce muscle and joint stiffness and improve range of motion
- Buoyancy reduces weight and load on joints, enabling improved exercise capacity and function
- Prescription of exercises tailored to specific conditions by a Physiotherapist
- Utilisation of a range of exercise equipment such as noodles, paddles and kickboards to assist in exercise progression.
Benefits of aquatic physiotherapy include:
- Decrease pain and swelling
- Increase function
- Increase range of movement
- Increase strength
- Helps with stiffness and mobility
- Reduced fear of falling, often more comfortable than on land
- Balance and coordination
- Relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere
Aquatic physiotherapy may be suitable for:
- Post-operative rehabilitation
- Back, knee, hip and shoulder pain and/or stiffness
- Conditions such as arthritis
- Weight loss
- Chronic pain
- Decreased mobility
Aquatic Physiotherapy Facility Details:
- Location: YMCA Swim School, Mariners Centre of Excellence, 1 Bryant Drive, Tuggerah
- Pool entry fees are included in your Aquatic Physiotherapy Service Fee charged to you by Coast Sport
- All Aquatic Physiotherapy participants are required to sign in at the YMCA Swim School front desk prior to entering the facility
- YMCA Swim School has change rooms available for clients
- YMCA Swim School policy states that all clients must rinse in the available showers prior to entry to the pool
- Pool entry/exit: YMCA Swim School offer both a ladder as well as an automatic chair lift for entry/exit to/from the Aquatic Therapy pool
- Pool is depth is 1.2m throughout, dimensions are 7x14m and pool temperature is 33℃
- Aquatic Physiotherapy Treatment Sessions range from 15-45 minutes in duration