Women's Health is, like all health, important throughout our life! Here at Coast Sport, we can assist with many aspects of Women's health. Areas where we can assist are listed below.
Chronic Disease Management (CDM)Exercise Physiologists work with the GP’s under the CDM Medicare rebated scheme to treat conditions that may affect Women's health such as:
- Type II Diabetes
- Weight management and obesity
- Lower back pain
- Mental Health conditions (Depression and anxiety)
- Neurological conditions (such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s)
Antenatal CareImportance of exercise during pregnancy:
- Exercise assists during pregnancy in preventing conditions such as pelvic and back pain due to postural changes
- It is also important in improving sleep and preventing insomnia that can occur especially in the 3rd trimester
- Exercise helps to decrease anxiety and stress, helps improve mood and gives a sense of wellbeing that benefits Mum and Bub!
- It is beneficial to be stronger and fitter during labour especially if it is long or intense, we focus on breath work too which can help too with pain relief
- Digestive issues such as constipation can be improved by regular exercise
- Exercise can also help to improve and prevent varicose veins and circulation problems
- It can also assist in the regulation of blood sugar control and preventing onset of Diabetes during pregnancy
- Strengthening and maintaining pelvic floor control to prevent incontinence
EP’s work specifically with the patient and provide safe measures for exercise such as heart rate and blood pressure control.
Now that there is a new baby a lot of the focus often shifts away from Mum which can have harmful effects both physically and emotionally. Return to exercise depends on the type of birth for example post caesarean section usually requires a 6 week wait before returning. Specific exercise can help Mum to:
- Return to pre pregnancy weight and fitness
- Be strong enough to carry Bub
- Prevent neck and back pain caused by feeding and carrying
- Improve mood and reduce stress and anxiety
- Working in a group can help many new mums to feel like they are not alone and get some tips from each other!
- Treat conditions such as Diastasis recti (Splitting of the abdominal muscles), Pelvic organ prolapse and Urinary incontinence that can result from pregnancy
Pilates Classes - Antenatal & Postnatal
Our classes at Coast Sport are on a Monday at 10am and run by our Exercise Physiologist Leigh-Anne McBride who has over 10 years of experience in pregnancy and exercise and has 2 children of her own.