Ingrown Nail Surgery
Coast Sport recognises that the thought of a medical procedure can be a stressful experience. This information aims to alleviate some of your concerns in keeping with our mission to feel well, move well and perform well. It explains briefly the events that may occur during your visit and the things to expect when you leave our clinic.
It is, however, only a guideline as each person may require differing treatments.
An ingrown toenail is a painful condition of the toe in which the side of the nail grows into the skin, causing inflammation and/or infection.
The toenail is either removed completely or a “partial nail avulsion” is performed.
Complete removal of the nail allows the nail bedtime to heal and for a new nail to grow-regrowth can take 6 to 12 months depending on the age and overall health of the patient.
What to expect
- Recovery from your toe surgery takes place in your home.
- Keep your foot elevated and rest on the day of surgery.
- Your toe will have a large bandage on it. This dressing is usually left on for 24 to 36 hours.
- On average it will take six to twelve weeks for your nail to heal.
What you can do
- Nutrition: maintain a high-calorie, high-protein diet for optimal wound healing (meat, eggs, cheese, milk and soybeans).
- Weight bear as directed by your Podiatrist. This may be restricted for at least 24 hours depending on the extent of your procedure. When resting keep the operated foot elevated above heart level.
- Wound care: follow the instructions given to you by your Podiatrist.
- Medication: do not hesitate to take pain relief some discomfort is expected although NSAIDS like Neurofen/Ibuprofen are not recommended due to being a mild blood thinner.
- Wear loose-fitting shoes: or sneakers for the first two weeks after the procedure.
What to avoid
- Wearing high healed or tight-fitting shoes.
- Running, jumping or strenuous activity for two weeks after the surgery.
Please note that we currently do not offer online bookings for this service. Please contact our staff on (02) 4356 2588 to organise an appointment.
Meet Our Podiatrists: