6 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD DO YOGA IN WINTER
- Yoga is a practice for all seasons and all weather conditions. Why wait till summer, do something that’s good for your health and wellbeing NOW! People have a tendency to go into hibernation mode in winter, they give up their sport and other forms of exercise, in exchange for sitting on the couch, watching TV, and eating a diet heavy in comfort foods. The beauty of Yoga is you can do it anywhere, at any time, throughout all the seasons. You can come into a warm cosy studio on a cold, wet winters day and spend the next hour, strengthening your body, stretching out tight muscles, relieving aching joints, and calming the mind.
- Yoga increases your strength, flexibility and improves posture. In winter people tend to spend more time indoors and become inactive. As a result, the muscles become weak and the joints become stiff resulting in tight hips, back pain and sore neck and shoulders. Add to this the fact that many of us work in a sedentary position, and this again highlights the importance of doing Yoga in winter to shift stagnant energy, get you moving freely, and feel comfortable in your own body
- Yoga helps you to perform at your highest level at work and in play. Yoga is essentially about removing obstacles in the physical body and the mind. If your showing up to work stressed, anxious and fatigued you will be unable to perform to the best of your ability. Similarly, if you turn up to a sporting event with eg. tight hamstrings, sore back, neck/shoulder pain you will not be able to perform to the best of your ability or simply enjoy your activity of choice. In Yoga you work on opening the tight muscles, strengthening the weak muscles, calming the mind and resting down so you leave the class feeling refreshed and ready to take on life head on!
- Yoga helps you maintain a healthy diet and control your weight. In winter people tend to resort to a diet that is heavy in comfort foods, loaded with carbs and sugar, and high in calories. Then when summer comes along they have to work a lot harder to shed their winter weight. Studies have found that you can burn 100-400 calories an hour doing Yoga. Not only that, practicing Yoga increases your awareness of what your body needs to be healthy, which in turn plays a big part in your choice of diet and nutrition.
- Yoga helps to prevent illness and boost your immune system. Doing Yoga improves blood circulation and also increases the circulation of lymph fluid, a fluid that is essential in filtering the body of harmful bacteria and viruses. Keeping a regular yoga practice going over the course of the year will help to bolster your immune system and keep common colds and flus at bay.
- Yoga helps you maintain your form and fitness through winter. If you’ve been doing your sport or exercise over the warmer months and you’ve built up your fitness and performance to a good level, don’t chuck it in over winter and undo all your hard work. Use yoga to sustain your form and fitness, that way you wont be starting from scratch come spring time.
This blog has been prepared by our Yoga Teacher Angelo.
Call now on 4356 2588 or email on [email protected] to book a spot in our Yoga Classes.[/one_second]