Exercise during and after pregnancy needs to be adapted to the physiological and physical changes of the new Mum.
Exercise can offer a range of benefits for the Mum, namely:
- Prevention of conditions such as pelvic and back pain due to postural changes.
- Improving sleep and preventing insomnia that can occur especially in the 3rd
- Decreasing anxiety and stress, helps improve mood and gives a sense of wellbeing that benefits Mum and Bub!
- Assists in labour – especially if it is long or intense, we focus on breath work too which can help with pain relief.
- Digestive issues such as constipation can be improved by regular exercise.
- Prevention of varicose veins and circulation problems.
- Regulation of blood sugar and preventing onset of Diabetes during pregnancy.
- Strengthening and maintaining pelvic floor control to prevent incontinence.
At Coast Sport, our exercise physiologist runs both Antenatal Pilates classes as well as individual care for those ladies who have specific pregnancy related problems such as back pain, pubic symphysis dysfunction, carpal tunnel syndrome, rib pain, incontinence plus more.
Postnatal exercise is equally important and often neglected. Return to exercise depends on the birthing process and how the mother feels post birth. Birth by caesarean section requires 6 weeks until they can return to exercise.
Specific postnatal exercise can help Mum to:
- Return to pre pregnancy weight and fitness
- Be strong enough to carry Bub
- Prevent neck and back pain caused by feeding and carrying
- Improve mood plus reduce stress and anxiety
- Working in a group can help many new Mums to feel like they are not alone and get some tips from each other!
- Treat conditions such as diastasis recti (splitting of the abdominal muscles), pelvic organ prolapse and urinary incontinence issues that can result from pregnancy.
Our classes at Coast Sport are on a Monday at 10am and run by our Exercise Physiologist Leigh-Anne McBride who has over 10 years of experience in pregnancy and exercise and has 2 children of her own. Call now on (02) 4356 2588 or book through our online system below to see Leigh-Anne.