Myofascial Cupping is a form of remedial massage treatment combining and using Myofascial Release Therapy and Trigger Point Therapy.
How does it work?
Using glass or silicone cups, they are placed on the skin, creating a slightly pressurised seal drawing up superficial muscle into the cup stimulating the circulation of blood, breaking up adhesion’s, and creating a pathway for toxins to be drawn out of the body through the lymphatic system.
Myofascial Cupping is being widely used in athletic training, physical therapy, and remedial massage therapy clinics. It was recently used in the 2016 Rio Olympic games for pre- and post-competition recovery and detoxification.
It is used specifically to decompress adhesion’s and scar tissue, relax muscles in spasm, decrease trigger point pain, and decrease tissue changes and inflammation following trauma. Cumulative treatments increase muscle endurance, circulation, increase lymphatic drainage and enhances overall ability to recover from workouts and strenuous activity.
Myofascial Cupping uses cups specifically used for ‘dragging’ or ‘gliding’. A special massage oil is placed on the skin first and the cups are gently moved across the skin, usually along meridians or fascia / muscle planes.
Benefits of Myofascial Cupping:
1) Stimulates whole body relaxation/therapeutic response
2) Stimulates oxygenation and detoxification of blood
3) Increases range of motion,
5) Breaks up adhesion’s, and promotes healing in burn/scar tissue and chronic injury sites
6) Promotes circulation
What does is treat?
- Tight and stiff muscles
- Back pain, sciatica, piriformis syndrome, IT band pain, rotator cuff injuries, plantar fasciitis
- Emotional balance: anxiety, depression, stress, migraines
- High blood pressure by calming the nervous system
Myofascial Cupping is a very safe and beneficial massage treatment. Its great on its own or as an adjunct to massage therapy. Give it a go today!
This blog has been prepared by our massage therapist Mick Kranendonk.
To book in with Mick and find our how myofascial cupping may help assist you with your sporting goals, call us on 4356 2588 or use the book online button below!